|Hamm Woodland Garden Planting - June 8,
By Angela DuPaul
Friends of Swede Hollow has embarked upon an exciting new project that both restores native plant species to the park and pays homage to a lost neighborhood landmark.
The Hamm Woodland Garden, located in the upper part of Swede Hollow Park, features native wildflowers like Jack in the Pulpit, as well as several species of ferns. Friends of Swede Hollow, Greening Dayton’s Bluff, and the Saint Paul Garden Club did preparation and planting on June 8th.
The placement of plants and paths is meant to replicate the floor plan of the Hamm Mansion, which once stood on that very site. The elaborate brick Queen Anne mansion was located at 671 Greenbrier, formerly Cable Avenue. The Hamm family lived in the home from 1886 to 1933. Later it was used as a rest home operated by Mrs. Claire E. Robbins until the mid 1950s when it was destroyed by fire.